Addictions - Including Substances Sex Therapy
Addictions - Including Substances
While some people can use prescription or recreational drugs with no negative effects, many others become addicted and face dramatic health and lifestyle problems as a result. Substance addictions negatively affect relationships, home, school or work, leaving the person feeling ashamed, helpless and isolated.
Physical symptoms of substance abuse and addiction are varied depending on the drug of choice, but the symptoms of the addiction itself are similar. People who are addicted to substances may neglect their responsibilities, take potentially dangerous risks and get into trouble with the law. As their drug use spirals out of control, they will lose interest in activities that used to be enjoyable and continue to take drugs despite knowing the harm it causes.
Substance addicts tend to build up a tolerance to their drug of choice, and get angry when they can't get more of it. Withdrawal symptoms are highly probable when an addict goes without it for too long. Depression, nausea, insomnia, sweating, restlessness, anxiety and shaking are all common withdrawal symptoms.
Psychotherapy can help you to overcome substance addiction by focusing on correcting maladaptive behaviors. Substance abuse is usually a coping mechanism against emotionally overwhelming past events or memories. Substances are often used to provide instant gratification instead of facing certain issues.
Therapists are equipped to help clients deal with addiction recovery through empowerment and helping them set simple short term targets. The first target is sobriety, followed by empowering the client with adaptive skills and finding new coping strategies that deal with the issues that caused the addiction. Substance addiction can be ended, allowing the person to live a healthy, productive life.
If you need a counsellor or psychologist to help you address the effects of substance addiction, you can search the directory below to find a professional with the approach best suited to your situation.
Sex Therapy addresses an important aspect of life and committed relationships. Issues that are directly and indirectly related to sexuality can be addressed through Sex Therapy.
Sessions will involve talking about sex and related difficulties that bring people to a therapist, or that come up during the course of counselling.
Many issues can be addressed during Sex Therapy, including sexual addiction, lack of libido, sexual anxiety, gender issues, undesirable impulses and compulsions, body image issues, promiscuity, loneliness, and relationship issues. Therapists see people who are in recovery from sexual assault or sexual abuse all the time, and offer a safe and secure relationship in which to heal. Couples who have imbalanced or conflicting sexual desires can use Sex Therapy as a tool to find common ground or to learn coping mechanisms.
If you are looking for a therapist who offers Sex Therapy, please browse our list of practitioners below..
Note: You may narrow your search by selecting more than one filter below.
- (-) Remove Addictions - Including Substances filterAddictions - Including Substances
- Addiction - Internet (1)Apply Addiction - Internet filter
- Addictions - Pornography (1)Apply Addictions - Pornography filter
- Addictions - Sexual (1)Apply Addictions - Sexual filter
- Anger Management Issues (1)Apply Anger Management Issues filter
- Anxiety and/or Panic (1)Apply Anxiety and/or Panic filter
- Family Violence (1)Apply Family Violence filter
- Gender Identity Issues (1)Apply Gender Identity Issues filter
- Infidelity (1)Apply Infidelity filter
- Intimacy Issues (1)Apply Intimacy Issues filter
- Marriage and/or Relationship Issues (1)Apply Marriage and/or Relationship Issues filter
- Sexual Assault (1)Apply Sexual Assault filter
- Sexuality (1)Apply Sexuality filter
- Trauma Counselling (1)Apply Trauma Counselling filter
- (-) Remove Sex Therapy filterSex Therapy
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) (1)Apply Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) filter
- Communication Skills Training (1)Apply Communication Skills Training filter
- EMDR (1)Apply EMDR filter
- Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy (EFT) (1)Apply Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy (EFT) filter
- Gottman Method Couples Therapy (1)Apply Gottman Method Couples Therapy filter
- Marriage & Couples Counselling (1)Apply Marriage & Couples Counselling filter
- ONLINE / VIRTUAL / TELEHEALTH COUNSELLING (1)Apply ONLINE / VIRTUAL / TELEHEALTH COUNSELLING filter