Counselling Nelson - Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Sex Therapy, Psychologists, Therapists in Nelson
Counselling Nelson contains information about counsellors, psychologists, and therapists in the Nelson area. These counsellors, psychologists, and therapists may assist individuals, couples and/or families. Many will be able to provide anger management counselling, depression counselling, anxiety counselling, marriage counselling, and trauma counselling.
Explore the information within the counselling listings for Nelson to get a better sense of which counselling professional might be a match for you.
Nelson consists of the following neighbourhoods:
Fairview, Uphill, Downtown, North Shore, Bonnington, Mountain Station, Rosemont, Lower Six Mile, 6 Mile
If you want to search a nearby city then click on the check mark for Nelson to unselect it and choose another city.
Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
Post Traumatic Stress Disorder is an anxiety disorder that usually starts within the three months of a traumatic incident. It has been reported that in rare cases, PTSD symptoms may only occur after a number of years.
Three groups of symptoms are present in people with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Increased anxiety / emotional arousal includes anger or irritability, overwhelming shame or guilt, sleeplessness and self-destructive behaviour. The second group of symptoms, known as intrusive memories, causes flashbacks to the traumatic event and upsetting dreams. The third group of symptoms that a Post Traumatic Stress Disorder patient may experience, includes emotional numbing or avoidance. This group of symptoms includes memory problems, poor concentration, feeling emotionally numb, a sense of hopelessness, and an avoidance of activities that the person used to find enjoyable.
Post Traumatic Stress Disorder symptoms may be present for a while, disappear and then return again. General stress may increase the symptoms, as can reminders of the traumatic incident.
Therapists who address Post Traumatic Stress Disorder generally use one, or a combination of trauma therapies to treat it. Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR) is commonly used and can help a person to change their reactions to traumatic memories.
Exposure therapy can help a person reduce the amount of fear related to the feelings and thoughts associated with past traumatic events. Cognitive therapy helps a person to change the way he or she thinks about the event and the aftermath of a traumatic incident. It will help a person to identify thoughts that cause fear and anger, and learn ways to replace those thoughts with less stressful and more empowering thoughts.
If you are looking for a counsellor or psychologist who offers Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and related issues you may want to search the directory to find a professional whose approach will suit you best.
Sex Therapy addresses an important aspect of life and committed relationships. Issues that are directly and indirectly related to sexuality can be addressed through Sex Therapy.
Sessions will involve talking about sex and related difficulties that bring people to a therapist, or that come up during the course of counselling.
Many issues can be addressed during Sex Therapy, including sexual addiction, lack of libido, sexual anxiety, gender issues, undesirable impulses and compulsions, body image issues, promiscuity, loneliness, and relationship issues. Therapists see people who are in recovery from sexual assault or sexual abuse all the time, and offer a safe and secure relationship in which to heal. Couples who have imbalanced or conflicting sexual desires can use Sex Therapy as a tool to find common ground or to learn coping mechanisms.
If you are looking for a therapist who offers Sex Therapy, please browse our list of practitioners below..
Note: You may narrow your search by selecting more than one filter below.
- (-) Remove Post Traumatic Stress Disorder filterPost Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Abuse - Emotional, Physical, Sexual (1)Apply Abuse - Emotional, Physical, Sexual filter
- Addictions - Including Substances (1)Apply Addictions - Including Substances filter
- Anxiety and/or Panic (1)Apply Anxiety and/or Panic filter
- Chronic Pain (1)Apply Chronic Pain filter
- Depression (1)Apply Depression filter
- Family Issues (1)Apply Family Issues filter
- Grief and Loss - General (1)Apply Grief and Loss - General filter
- Marriage and/or Relationship Issues (1)Apply Marriage and/or Relationship Issues filter
- Parenting Issues (1)Apply Parenting Issues filter
- Sexual Assault (1)Apply Sexual Assault filter
- Sexuality (1)Apply Sexuality filter
- Spirituality (1)Apply Spirituality filter
- Trauma Counselling (1)Apply Trauma Counselling filter
- (-) Remove Sex Therapy filterSex Therapy
- Body Centred Psychotherapy (1)Apply Body Centred Psychotherapy filter
- Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy (EFT) (1)Apply Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy (EFT) filter
- Emotionally Focused Therapy - Individuals (1)Apply Emotionally Focused Therapy - Individuals filter
- Family Therapy (1)Apply Family Therapy filter
- Marriage & Couples Counselling (1)Apply Marriage & Couples Counselling filter
- ONLINE / VIRTUAL / TELEHEALTH COUNSELLING (1)Apply ONLINE / VIRTUAL / TELEHEALTH COUNSELLING filter
- Satir Therapy (1)Apply Satir Therapy filter
- Somatic Experiencing (1)Apply Somatic Experiencing filter
- Spiritual Counselling (1)Apply Spiritual Counselling filter