Child Stress and Trauma Self Regulation Therapy (SRT)
Child Stress and Trauma
Children today are exposed to much more trauma than we were twenty or thirty years ago, and that's why child trauma counselling is such an important tool to help them cope. Once off events, such as sexual abuse, domestic violence, bullying, life-threatening illnesses, natural disasters, or war can leave a child scarred for life.
Long-term exposure to poverty, verbal abuse or milder types of abuse are traumatic too, in fact that can be as devastating to a child as a single catastrophic event.
As with adults, every child has a different way of dealing with similar circumstances or events. Not every person who experiences the same event will become traumatized, but exposure to trauma can result in a variety of symptoms including nightmares, bedwetting, anxiety, depression, disdain for authority, poor grades, moodswings, substance abuse, and self-harm.
Both cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) and a range of other therapies can be helpful in treating children who have been exposed to short term trauma. Therapists will usually work with the child on a one-on-one basis to help the child restructure negative thought patterns and self esteem (in the case of abuse, etc.) before calling in the family for family counselling. Family counselling is a great way for the family to find common ground, build problem-solving skills and to help the parents to re-establish themselves as the authority figures in the home.
If you are looking for a counsellor or psychologist with specialized traing in trauma counselling for children you may want to search the directory to find a professional whose approach will suit you best.
Self Regulation Therapy (SRT)
Self Regulation Therapy (SRT) offers a mind-body approach to reducing excess nervous activation. With roots in neurobiology, SRT reflects the human's built-in automatic response to threat or novelty.
The nervous system changes as the result of negative events, but Self Regulation Therapy (SRT) helps the nervous system to integrate these events and balance the nervous system.
Self Regulation Therapy (SRT) takes place in a contained environment where the client feels safe. It helps to develop new neural pathways to help the client to develop flexibility and to better handle daily stresses and challenges.
Self Regulation Therapy (SRT) can help the symptoms of dysregulation, including mood disorders, personality disorders, PTSD, stress and anxiety disorders, and physical issues such as chronic pain, asthma, migraines and insomnia.
If you are looking for a therapist who offers Self Regulation Therapy (SRT), please browse our list of practitioners below..
Note: You may narrow your search by selecting more than one filter below.
- (-) Remove Child Stress and Trauma filterChild Stress and Trauma
- Abuse - Emotional, Physical, Sexual (1)Apply Abuse - Emotional, Physical, Sexual filter
- Adolescent Issues (2)Apply Adolescent Issues filter
- Adoption Issues (1)Apply Adoption Issues filter
- Anger Management Issues (1)Apply Anger Management Issues filter
- Anxiety and/or Panic (4)Apply Anxiety and/or Panic filter
- Attention Deficit Disorder - ADHD (2)Apply Attention Deficit Disorder - ADHD filter
- Autism and Developmental Disorders (1)Apply Autism and Developmental Disorders filter
- Bullying - School (1)Apply Bullying - School filter
- Child Behaviour (3)Apply Child Behaviour filter
- Child Development (2)Apply Child Development filter
- Cross Cultural Issues (1)Apply Cross Cultural Issues filter
- Depression (2)Apply Depression filter
- Divorce and/or Separation (1)Apply Divorce and/or Separation filter
- Family Conflict (1)Apply Family Conflict filter
- Family Issues (4)Apply Family Issues filter
- Gender Identity Issues (1)Apply Gender Identity Issues filter
- Grief and Loss - General (1)Apply Grief and Loss - General filter
- Learning Disabilities (1)Apply Learning Disabilities filter
- Life Transitions (2)Apply Life Transitions filter
- Neurodiversity (2)Apply Neurodiversity filter
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (1)Apply Obsessive Compulsive Disorder filter
- Parent/Teen Conflict (1)Apply Parent/Teen Conflict filter
- Parenting Issues (3)Apply Parenting Issues filter
- Perfectionism (1)Apply Perfectionism filter
- Personal Growth (1)Apply Personal Growth filter
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (1)Apply Post Traumatic Stress Disorder filter
- Procrastination (1)Apply Procrastination filter
- Professional Burnout (1)Apply Professional Burnout filter
- School/Work Adjustment (1)Apply School/Work Adjustment filter
- Self-Esteem Issues (3)Apply Self-Esteem Issues filter
- Sleep Difficulties-Adults (1)Apply Sleep Difficulties-Adults filter
- Sleep Difficulties-Children (2)Apply Sleep Difficulties-Children filter
- Stepfamily Adjustment (1)Apply Stepfamily Adjustment filter
- Stress Management (2)Apply Stress Management filter
- Trauma Counselling (1)Apply Trauma Counselling filter
- (-) Remove Self Regulation Therapy (SRT) filterSelf Regulation Therapy (SRT)
- ADD and ADHD Coping Strategies (2)Apply ADD and ADHD Coping Strategies filter
- Adlerian Therapy (1)Apply Adlerian Therapy filter
- Adolescent Therapy (2)Apply Adolescent Therapy filter
- Body Centred Therapy (2)Apply Body Centred Therapy filter
- Child Centred Therapy (3)Apply Child Centred Therapy filter
- Coaching (1)Apply Coaching filter
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) (1)Apply Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) filter
- Communication Skills Training (2)Apply Communication Skills Training filter
- Cross Cultural Therapy (1)Apply Cross Cultural Therapy filter
- Developmental (1)Apply Developmental filter
- EMDR (2)Apply EMDR filter
- Emotion Focused Therapy (1)Apply Emotion Focused Therapy filter
- Expressive Arts Therapies (2)Apply Expressive Arts Therapies filter
- Family Systems (2)Apply Family Systems filter
- Family Therapy (1)Apply Family Therapy filter
- Humanistic Therapy (1)Apply Humanistic Therapy filter
- Internal Family Systems (1)Apply Internal Family Systems filter
- Life Stress Reduction (LSR) (1)Apply Life Stress Reduction (LSR) filter
- Mindfulness approaches (3)Apply Mindfulness approaches filter
- ONLINE / VIRTUAL / TELEHEALTH COUNSELLING (3)Apply ONLINE / VIRTUAL / TELEHEALTH COUNSELLING filter
- Play Therapy (3)Apply Play Therapy filter
- Solution Focused Therapy (2)Apply Solution Focused Therapy filter