Gender Identity Issues Psychoanalytic Therapy
Gender Identity Issues
Gender identity issues can make a person feel that nature has played a cruel trick, leaving them living in a body and role that is contrary to what they feel inside. However, as society becomes more accepting of gay and lesbian individuals it is also becoming much easier for people to admit that they are transgender than ever before. However, therapy can help people with gender dysphoria to cope with gender identity issues.
Most people with gender dysphoria prefer the term transgender as they deal with the social expectations of living a life that is authentic to their own emotions while conforming to their birth gender.
Whether you are confused about the possibility that you might be transgender, or whether you have accepted the reality, it is a good idea to speak to a therapist. If you are considering gender reassignment surgery, therapy will help you prepare for the psychological impact of the decision.
Living in your gender of choice will take a lot of courage, as well as some experimentation. You will have to learn how to find a congruent appearance, and explore different ways for you to present your body so that it relates to your true gender.
Counselling from a therapist trained in gender identity issues will provide a nurturing and non-judgmental environment for you to explore your emotions, fears and feelings regarding what is happening for you. Individual and group therapies are common for gender dysphoric patients, while family therapy can help foster better communication, and understanding. Family therapy can help deal with conflicts that can arise from gender dysphoria.
If you are looking for a counsellor or psychologist who offers gender identity counselling to address your gender dysphoria issues you may want to search the directory to find a professional whose approach will suit you best.
Note: You may narrow your search by selecting more than one filter below.
- (-) Remove Gender Identity Issues filterGender Identity Issues
- Anxiety and/or Panic (2)Apply Anxiety and/or Panic filter
- Depression (2)Apply Depression filter
- Eating Disorders (1)Apply Eating Disorders filter
- Grief and Loss - General (2)Apply Grief and Loss - General filter
- Grief and Loss - Prenatal (1)Apply Grief and Loss - Prenatal filter
- Intimacy Issues (2)Apply Intimacy Issues filter
- LGBTQ Issues (1)Apply LGBTQ Issues filter
- Life Transitions (2)Apply Life Transitions filter
- Marriage and/or Relationship Issues (2)Apply Marriage and/or Relationship Issues filter
- Men's Issues (1)Apply Men's Issues filter
- Personal Growth (1)Apply Personal Growth filter
- Postpartum Depression (1)Apply Postpartum Depression filter
- Pregnancy (1)Apply Pregnancy filter
- Self-Esteem Issues (2)Apply Self-Esteem Issues filter
- Sexuality (1)Apply Sexuality filter
- Spirituality (1)Apply Spirituality filter
- Stress Management (1)Apply Stress Management filter
- Trauma Counselling (1)Apply Trauma Counselling filter
- Women's Issues (1)Apply Women's Issues filter
- (-) Remove Psychoanalytic Therapy filterPsychoanalytic Therapy
- Acceptance & Commitment Therapy (1)Apply Acceptance & Commitment Therapy filter
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) (1)Apply Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) filter
- Family Therapy (1)Apply Family Therapy filter
- Gottman Method Couples Therapy (1)Apply Gottman Method Couples Therapy filter
- Integrative Psychotherapy (1)Apply Integrative Psychotherapy filter
- Marriage & Couples Counselling (2)Apply Marriage & Couples Counselling filter
- Mindfulness approaches (1)Apply Mindfulness approaches filter
- ONLINE / VIRTUAL / TELEHEALTH COUNSELLING (1)Apply ONLINE / VIRTUAL / TELEHEALTH COUNSELLING filter
- Psychodynamic Therapy (2)Apply Psychodynamic Therapy filter
- Relational Psychotherapy (2)Apply Relational Psychotherapy filter
- Telephone Counselling (1)Apply Telephone Counselling filter
- Video Counselling (1)Apply Video Counselling filter