Motivational Interviewing is a short term treatment approach, which is specifically aimed at strengthening the client's commitment for, and motivation to change. This approach is widely recognized and is used in a number of applications, including substance abuse, rehabilitation, social work, criminal justice, schools, coaching and in health promotion.
During a Motivational Interviewing session, the therapist will make sure that the client feels understood and supported. The therapist will also assure the client that his or her emotions are normal and expected, in anticipation of the great changes ahead. The key to Motivational Interviewing is to juxtapose the client's goals and behaviours that may stand in the way of success. Motivational Interviewing can help a client recognize behavioural issues that are not conducive to success.
If you are looking for a therapist who offers Motivational Interviewing, please browse our list of practitioners below..
Note: You may narrow your search by selecting more than one filter below.
- Anxiety and/or Panic (1)Apply Anxiety and/or Panic filter
- Creativity (1)Apply Creativity filter
- Eating Disorders (1)Apply Eating Disorders filter
- Life Transitions (1)Apply Life Transitions filter
- Perfectionism (1)Apply Perfectionism filter
- Personal Growth (1)Apply Personal Growth filter
- Professional Burnout (1)Apply Professional Burnout filter
- (-) Remove Motivational Interviewing filterMotivational Interviewing
- Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (1)Apply Dialectical Behaviour Therapy filter
- Expressive Arts Therapies (1)Apply Expressive Arts Therapies filter
- Humanistic Therapy (1)Apply Humanistic Therapy filter
- Mindfulness approaches (1)Apply Mindfulness approaches filter
- Relational Psychotherapy (1)Apply Relational Psychotherapy filter