Brain Injury Motivational Interviewing
Brain injury can cause a many emotional difficulties. It can change the ways in which a person functions emotionally and in the way he or she expresses emotions. There could be a wide range of emotional difficulties, such as difficulty with controlling mood swings.
While some brain injury victims experience a change in emotions right away, others may take months to show changes in the way they behave. Some people with brain injuries will experience quick and intense emotional changes, but they will calm down again quickly. Alternatively, they may experience emotional lability, or severe mood swings.
These behavioural changes are sometimes the result of damage to the emotional center in the brain. There is not always a specific trigger that causes the sudden emotional response in the patient, and that can be very confusing for loved ones. They will often take the blame for the sudden outbursts on themselves, thinking that they did something to upset the patient. In some cases, the person might express emotions they don't feel at all, because they are unable to control the emotions they express.
In most cases, symptoms dissipate in the months following the brain injury, allowing the patient to return to more balanced emotional balance. However, people with brain injury and their families have found hope in working closely with a therapists. A therapists who offers brain injury counselling will help establish the cause of emotional changes and reassure the family and friends, while equipping them with better coping skills. A range of therapies can help improve emotional expression in brain injury patients.
If you are looking for a counsellor or psychologist who offers cognitive behavioural therapy or counselling to address your brain injury issues you may want to search the directory to find a professional whose approach will suit you best.
Motivational Interviewing is a short term treatment approach, which is specifically aimed at strengthening the client's commitment for, and motivation to change. This approach is widely recognized and is used in a number of applications, including substance abuse, rehabilitation, social work, criminal justice, schools, coaching and in health promotion.
During a Motivational Interviewing session, the therapist will make sure that the client feels understood and supported. The therapist will also assure the client that his or her emotions are normal and expected, in anticipation of the great changes ahead. The key to Motivational Interviewing is to juxtapose the client's goals and behaviours that may stand in the way of success. Motivational Interviewing can help a client recognize behavioural issues that are not conducive to success.
If you are looking for a therapist who offers Motivational Interviewing, please browse our list of practitioners below..
Note: You may narrow your search by selecting more than one filter below.
- (-) Remove Brain Injury filterBrain Injury
- Anger Management Issues (1)Apply Anger Management Issues filter
- Anxiety and/or Panic (1)Apply Anxiety and/or Panic filter
- Chronic Illness (1)Apply Chronic Illness filter
- Chronic Pain (1)Apply Chronic Pain filter
- Depression (1)Apply Depression filter
- Grief and Loss - General (1)Apply Grief and Loss - General filter
- LGBTQ Issues (1)Apply LGBTQ Issues filter
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (1)Apply Obsessive Compulsive Disorder filter
- Phobias (1)Apply Phobias filter
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (1)Apply Post Traumatic Stress Disorder filter
- Sleep Difficulties-Adults (1)Apply Sleep Difficulties-Adults filter
- Stress Management (1)Apply Stress Management filter
- Trauma Counselling (1)Apply Trauma Counselling filter
- (-) Remove Motivational Interviewing filterMotivational Interviewing
- Acceptance & Commitment Therapy (1)Apply Acceptance & Commitment Therapy filter
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) (1)Apply Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) filter
- Emotion Focused Therapy (1)Apply Emotion Focused Therapy filter
- Mindfulness approaches (1)Apply Mindfulness approaches filter
- ONLINE / VIRTUAL / TELEHEALTH COUNSELLING (1)Apply ONLINE / VIRTUAL / TELEHEALTH COUNSELLING filter
- Pain Management (1)Apply Pain Management filter
- Video Counselling (1)Apply Video Counselling filter