Chronic Illness Internal Family Systems
Chronic illness has the ability to affect you in more ways than just medically. In fact, it can impact you psychologically. The degree of impact is dependent on the person's personality and the circumstances before the diagnosis. Support structure plays an important role on a person's ability to cope, but oftentimes, a person has to go through various stages of dealing with the condition before they are able to adjust to the realities of the chronic illness.
When a person is diagnosed with a chronic illness, he or she will go through a number of stages similar to the stages of grief. Denial, disbelief and shock are just some of the emotions a person experiences when a diagnosis is made, and it's natural for them to resist major changes. Eventually, they will become exhausted, when all they really want to do is to recover. At that point, fear and anxiety will set in and worry in the face of uncertainty of the future.
Sadness, grief and depression are common emotions when they consider the possibility of lost goals, hopes and dreams. Losing independence is a real fear, which becomes inevitable if an illness progresses and that brings about the fear of being a burden to loved ones, which brings on more anger, resentment and even shame.
Counselling can help a person to deal with the emotions relating to chronic illness and to cope with the stress and anxieties of accepting and coping with life changes. It will help to regain personal control over life and yourself.
If you are looking for a counsellor or psychologist who works with in chronically ill individuals you may want to search the directory to find a professional whose approach will suit you best.
Note: You may narrow your search by selecting more than one filter below.
- (-) Remove Chronic Illness filterChronic Illness
- Abuse - Emotional, Physical, Sexual (1)Apply Abuse - Emotional, Physical, Sexual filter
- Anxiety and/or Panic (1)Apply Anxiety and/or Panic filter
- Depression (1)Apply Depression filter
- Perfectionism (1)Apply Perfectionism filter
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (1)Apply Post Traumatic Stress Disorder filter
- Trauma Counselling (1)Apply Trauma Counselling filter
- (-) Remove Internal Family Systems filterInternal Family Systems
- AEDP (1)Apply AEDP filter
- Body Centred Psychotherapy (1)Apply Body Centred Psychotherapy filter
- Mindfulness approaches (1)Apply Mindfulness approaches filter
- Sensorimotor Psychotherapy (1)Apply Sensorimotor Psychotherapy filter
- Spiritual Counselling (1)Apply Spiritual Counselling filter