Chronic Pain Gestalt Therapy
Chronic pain brings hundreds of people to therapy every week. Many physical and psychological issues can cause chronic pain and it is important to rule out any medical causes and get treatment by speaking to a physician.
Some people experience chronic pain as the result of untreated emotional overwhelm, unexpressed anger, depression or grief. Symptoms of chronic pain typically include headaches; muscle tension, pain or fatigue; shooting nerve pains, and tension in the back, neck and shoulders.
Many people with chronic pain disorder are reluctant to explore the emotional causes of their pain for fear of being told that they are inventing the symptoms. However, true somaticizing is a very real condition in which the emotions are unable to leave the body.
Another reason why people are loathe to admit the emotional roots of their pain, is that they fear that there would be no medical cure. Chronic pain with an emotional root requires that they confront the emotions that have been hidden away, and this can be challenging.
Therapists and psychologists who do chronic pain therapy offer a confidential and safe environment in which people can explore pent-up emotions and as a result experience short term and long term relief. Symptoms caused by long term emotional build-up may require long-term treatment and due to the physical changes, some medical intervention and active physiotherapy is often very important as well.
If you are looking for a counsellor or psychologist who works with chronic pain you may want to search the directory to find a professional whose approach will suit you best.
Gestalt Therapy helps clients to understand the connection between their physical bodies and emotional states. When a person understands their internal motivations, it is easier to understand the external behaviours and reactions. Gestalt Therapy can help a client to develop that awareness through self-discovery. It will empower a client to develop coping skills to help him or her through stressful situations.
Gestalt Therapy beliefs that we all have all the answers within us, and it can help us to develop a greater sense of acceptance, of ourselves and of other people. As such, Gestalt Therapy can help people to improve relationships, improve decision making and gain confidence. It is a useful approach for dealing with a range of psychological issues, including PTSD, addiction, anxiety, tension and depression.
If you are looking for a therapist who offers Gestalt Therapy, please browse our list of practitioners below..
Note: You may narrow your search by selecting more than one filter below.
- (-) Remove Chronic Pain filterChronic Pain
- Anxiety and/or Panic (1)Apply Anxiety and/or Panic filter
- Autism and Developmental Disorders (1)Apply Autism and Developmental Disorders filter
- Cancer Care and Support (1)Apply Cancer Care and Support filter
- Caregiver Support (1)Apply Caregiver Support filter
- Chronic Illness (1)Apply Chronic Illness filter
- Depression (1)Apply Depression filter
- Family Caregiver Stress (1)Apply Family Caregiver Stress filter
- Grief and Loss - General (1)Apply Grief and Loss - General filter
- LGBTQ Issues (1)Apply LGBTQ Issues filter
- Life Transitions (1)Apply Life Transitions filter
- Perfectionism (1)Apply Perfectionism filter
- Personal Growth (1)Apply Personal Growth filter
- Trauma Counselling (1)Apply Trauma Counselling filter
- Women's Issues (1)Apply Women's Issues filter
- (-) Remove Gestalt Therapy filterGestalt Therapy
- Body Centred Psychotherapy (1)Apply Body Centred Psychotherapy filter
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) (1)Apply Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) filter
- Communication Skills Training (1)Apply Communication Skills Training filter
- Energy Psychotherapy (1)Apply Energy Psychotherapy filter
- Focusing (1)Apply Focusing filter
- Internal Family Systems (1)Apply Internal Family Systems filter
- Mindfulness approaches (1)Apply Mindfulness approaches filter
- ONLINE / VIRTUAL / TELEHEALTH COUNSELLING (1)Apply ONLINE / VIRTUAL / TELEHEALTH COUNSELLING filter
- Relational Psychotherapy (1)Apply Relational Psychotherapy filter
- Telephone Counselling (1)Apply Telephone Counselling filter
- Video Counselling (1)Apply Video Counselling filter