Intimacy Issues Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy (EFT)
Intimacy issues are common for people who fear vulnerability. Some people can become vulnerable in front of a few trusted friends, however, but when a relationship starts becoming too close, they feel suffocated. In this sense, the intimacy issues are seated in the fear of developing a deep and meaningful relationship with another person.
Two fears that are at the heart of intimacy issues, are the fear of abandonment (fearing the partner might leave them) and the fear of engulfment (fearing that they would lose themselves in a relationship), which sometimes co-exist. These fears, often rooted in childhood traumas, are often deeply entrenched in codependent adult relationships where they cause friction.
A therapist who works with people who have intimacy issues will first help you to learn to become comfortable with yourself and accept yourself for who you are. You will explore the complex past events that have created these intimacy issues and discover that those events don't have to cloud your present experiences.
This process is essential in discovering that rejection does not have to be a traumatic experience. Finally, you will learn how to set personal boundaries that will help you to avoid the fear of engulfment and to cope, should abandonment occur. While healing intimacy issues can be a challenging and somewhat painful task, the rewards are incredible.
If you are looking for a counsellor or psychologist who addresses intimacy issues, you may want to search the directory to find a professional whose approach will suit you best.
Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy (EFT)
Emotionally focused therapy (EFT) has helped couples and family members to treat distressed relationships, depression and a range of other emotional difficulties. It is one of the most common treatments used in private counselling and psychologist practices, training centres and hospital clinics around the world.
The main goal of Emotionally focused therapy is to create a secure bond between romantic partners and to reorganize and expand critical emotional responses. It helps to improve communication between partners, which is more beneficial to the relationship. EFT is a practical therapy that has been used successfully in relationships and marriages for many years, due to the fact that it creates a spirit of respect and harmony.
Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy generally only lasts between six to twenty sessions and has been shown effective in 90% of relationships.
If you are looking for a therapist who offers Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy, please browse our list of practitioners below..
Note: Some practitioners practice Emotion Focused Therapy rather than Emotionally Focused therapy. You will want to confirm that it is indeed Emotionally Focused Therapy that the counsellor/psychologist practices.
Note: You may narrow your search by selecting more than one filter below.
- (-) Remove Intimacy Issues filterIntimacy Issues
- Abuse - Emotional, Physical, Sexual (2)Apply Abuse - Emotional, Physical, Sexual filter
- Addiction - Internet (1)Apply Addiction - Internet filter
- Addictions - Including Substances (1)Apply Addictions - Including Substances filter
- Addictions - Pornography (1)Apply Addictions - Pornography filter
- Addictions - Sexual (1)Apply Addictions - Sexual filter
- Adolescent Issues (1)Apply Adolescent Issues filter
- Anger Management Issues (2)Apply Anger Management Issues filter
- Anxiety and/or Panic (5)Apply Anxiety and/or Panic filter
- Cancer Care and Support (1)Apply Cancer Care and Support filter
- Critical Incidents and Acute Stress (1)Apply Critical Incidents and Acute Stress filter
- Cross Cultural Issues (1)Apply Cross Cultural Issues filter
- Death and Dying (1)Apply Death and Dying filter
- Depression (4)Apply Depression filter
- Dissociative Disorders (1)Apply Dissociative Disorders filter
- Divorce and/or Separation (3)Apply Divorce and/or Separation filter
- Family Issues (3)Apply Family Issues filter
- Family Violence (1)Apply Family Violence filter
- Gender Identity Issues (1)Apply Gender Identity Issues filter
- Grief and Loss - General (3)Apply Grief and Loss - General filter
- Grief and Loss - Prenatal (1)Apply Grief and Loss - Prenatal filter
- Infidelity (2)Apply Infidelity filter
- Life Transitions (1)Apply Life Transitions filter
- Marriage and/or Relationship Issues (5)Apply Marriage and/or Relationship Issues filter
- Parenting Issues (1)Apply Parenting Issues filter
- Personal Growth (2)Apply Personal Growth filter
- Phobias (1)Apply Phobias filter
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (2)Apply Post Traumatic Stress Disorder filter
- Postpartum Depression (1)Apply Postpartum Depression filter
- Pre-Marital Counselling (2)Apply Pre-Marital Counselling filter
- Pregnancy (1)Apply Pregnancy filter
- Self-Esteem Issues (1)Apply Self-Esteem Issues filter
- Sexual Assault (1)Apply Sexual Assault filter
- Sexuality (1)Apply Sexuality filter
- Stress Management (1)Apply Stress Management filter
- Trauma Counselling (3)Apply Trauma Counselling filter
- Women's Issues (2)Apply Women's Issues filter
- (-) Remove Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy (EFT) filterEmotionally Focused Couples Therapy (EFT)
- ADD and ADHD Coping Strategies (1)Apply ADD and ADHD Coping Strategies filter
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) (4)Apply Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) filter
- Communication Skills Training (3)Apply Communication Skills Training filter
- Cross Cultural Therapy (1)Apply Cross Cultural Therapy filter
- EMDR (1)Apply EMDR filter
- Existential-Humanistic (2)Apply Existential-Humanistic filter
- Family Systems (3)Apply Family Systems filter
- Family Therapy (2)Apply Family Therapy filter
- Feminist Psychotherapy (1)Apply Feminist Psychotherapy filter
- Gottman Method Couples Therapy (2)Apply Gottman Method Couples Therapy filter
- Group Therapy (1)Apply Group Therapy filter
- Humanistic Therapy (1)Apply Humanistic Therapy filter
- Hypnotherapy (1)Apply Hypnotherapy filter
- Integrative Psychotherapy (1)Apply Integrative Psychotherapy filter
- Internal Family Systems (1)Apply Internal Family Systems filter
- Marriage & Couples Counselling (4)Apply Marriage & Couples Counselling filter
- ONLINE / VIRTUAL / TELEHEALTH COUNSELLING (1)Apply ONLINE / VIRTUAL / TELEHEALTH COUNSELLING filter
- Process Work (1)Apply Process Work filter
- Relational Psychotherapy (1)Apply Relational Psychotherapy filter
- Relaxation Therapy (1)Apply Relaxation Therapy filter
- Self Regulation Therapy (SRT) (1)Apply Self Regulation Therapy (SRT) filter
- Sex Therapy (1)Apply Sex Therapy filter
- Solution Focused Therapy (1)Apply Solution Focused Therapy filter
- Video Counselling (1)Apply Video Counselling filter
- Visualization (1)Apply Visualization filter