Sleep Difficulties-Children EMDR
Sleep difficulties are common, as most people experience it from time to time. Parents who are concerned that their children might have sleep issues should start finding answers by speaking to their pediatricians, who can diagnose any problems.
There are a wide range of issues that can contribute to sleep difficulties and it is important to address those issues to ensure that children can avoid the side effects of poor sleep. A lack of sleep can contribute to behavioural issues, poor concentration at school, hyperactivity, impulse control issues and irritability. A child or teenager who is experiencing sleep difficulties can be cranky, sleepy and poor-performing at school and unhappy, irritable and moody at home. It can cause a lot of problems in the home and also at school. It is important to get help for you child's sleep difficulties as soon as possible, as it could be serious.
Some of the most common issues that contribute to sleep difficulties in children include night terrors, sleep walking, bedwetting, sleep-onset anxiety, obstructive sleep apnea, narcolepsy, and delayed sleep-phase syndrome. Some of these conditions are serious and require urgent treatment. The newest of the issues to affect sleep include difficulties disengaging for smartphone or computer communications.
After having excluded medical issues, a child psychologist who offers sleep difficulties can help your child to work with any emotional and psychological issues that stops him or her from enjoying a good night's rest. Many different approaches can be used during individual counselling sessions, while family therapy can help the whole family gain insight into the problem. The psychologist or counsellor can help each family member to help the child who is experiencing sleep difficulties.
If you are looking for a counsellor or psychologist who offers counselling approaches to address your child's sleep difficulties and issues, you may want to search the directory to find a professional whose approach will suit you best.
EMDR, also known as Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing therapy uses a range of processes to address the full clinical situation. Dual stimulation is one of the key elements and the therapist will use tools such as bilateral eye movements, taps or tones.
Reprocessing involves the client momentarily attending to triggers, past memories or anticipated future events, all the while focusing on the supplied external stimulus. Normally, the client will experience memory changes, new associations and insights. EMDR has been found to be incredibly useful for processing past and present trauma that can continue to impact an individual in many ways.
There are eight phases to EMDR treatment and the therapist will devise a treatment plan during the first phase, and equip the client with the necessary coping skills in the second phase. Phases 3-6 cover the actual EMDR treatment, described above. Phase 7 is about closure, while phase eight is all about re-evaluation of the process.
If you are looking for a therapist who offers EMDR Therapy, please browse our list of practitioners below..
Note: You may narrow your search by selecting more than one filter below.
- (-) Remove Sleep Difficulties-Children filterSleep Difficulties-Children
- Abuse - Emotional, Physical, Sexual (2)Apply Abuse - Emotional, Physical, Sexual filter
- Addictions - Including Substances (1)Apply Addictions - Including Substances filter
- Adoption Issues (1)Apply Adoption Issues filter
- Anger Management Issues (1)Apply Anger Management Issues filter
- Anxiety and/or Panic (2)Apply Anxiety and/or Panic filter
- Attention Deficit Disorder - ADHD (1)Apply Attention Deficit Disorder - ADHD filter
- Brain Injury (1)Apply Brain Injury filter
- Career Issues (1)Apply Career Issues filter
- Child Stress and Trauma (1)Apply Child Stress and Trauma filter
- Critical Incidents and Acute Stress (1)Apply Critical Incidents and Acute Stress filter
- Death and Dying (1)Apply Death and Dying filter
- Depression (2)Apply Depression filter
- Divorce and/or Separation (2)Apply Divorce and/or Separation filter
- Eating Disorders (1)Apply Eating Disorders filter
- Family Issues (2)Apply Family Issues filter
- Intimacy Issues (1)Apply Intimacy Issues filter
- Life Transitions (1)Apply Life Transitions filter
- Marriage and/or Relationship Issues (1)Apply Marriage and/or Relationship Issues filter
- Men's Issues (1)Apply Men's Issues filter
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (1)Apply Obsessive Compulsive Disorder filter
- Parent/Teen Conflict (1)Apply Parent/Teen Conflict filter
- Parenting Issues (2)Apply Parenting Issues filter
- Phobias (1)Apply Phobias filter
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (2)Apply Post Traumatic Stress Disorder filter
- Sexual Assault (1)Apply Sexual Assault filter
- Sleep Difficulties-Adults (1)Apply Sleep Difficulties-Adults filter
- Stress Management (1)Apply Stress Management filter
- Teen Adjustment Issues (2)Apply Teen Adjustment Issues filter
- Trauma Counselling (2)Apply Trauma Counselling filter
- Vocational Assessment (1)Apply Vocational Assessment filter
- (-) Remove EMDR filterEMDR
- ADD and ADHD Coping Strategies (2)Apply ADD and ADHD Coping Strategies filter
- Child Centred Therapy (1)Apply Child Centred Therapy filter
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) (2)Apply Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) filter
- Communication Skills Training (1)Apply Communication Skills Training filter
- Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (1)Apply Dialectical Behaviour Therapy filter
- Divorce Mediation (1)Apply Divorce Mediation filter
- Emotion Focused Therapy (1)Apply Emotion Focused Therapy filter
- Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy (EFT) (1)Apply Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy (EFT) filter
- Family Systems (1)Apply Family Systems filter
- Family Therapy (1)Apply Family Therapy filter
- Life Stress Reduction (LSR) (1)Apply Life Stress Reduction (LSR) filter
- Marriage & Couples Counselling (1)Apply Marriage & Couples Counselling filter
- Mediation (1)Apply Mediation filter
- Mindfulness approaches (1)Apply Mindfulness approaches filter
- Neurofeedback (1)Apply Neurofeedback filter
- ONLINE / VIRTUAL / TELEHEALTH COUNSELLING (2)Apply ONLINE / VIRTUAL / TELEHEALTH COUNSELLING filter
- Psychodynamic Therapy (1)Apply Psychodynamic Therapy filter
- Telephone Counselling (1)Apply Telephone Counselling filter
- Video Counselling (1)Apply Video Counselling filter