Addictions - Sexual Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
Addictions - Sexual
Sexual addiction relates to any sex-related compulsive behaviors that are performed regardless of the consequences to the individual, his or her family, friends or work environment. Sex becomes a priority, ahead of everything else, and at all costs. It also refers to a dependency or compulsion relating to sexual acts and it can dominate the individual's life.
People with sexual addiction will spend a lot of time thinking about sex, masturbating compulsively, having multiple affairs, using pornography consistently, and performing unsafe sex. It can also take on a darker side when it involves rape or molestation, incest, sexual harassment, voyeurism, and using prostitutes.
Therapists can assist with sexual addiction by examining the person's behavior and sexual history. Many people with sexual addictions may have experienced abuse as children or adolescents and a therapist will explore those issues to help the person identify his or her thought patterns and danger zones.
Support groups have been shown to be effective in dealing with sexual addiction, though establishing a support network and accountability circle.
If you are looking for a counsellor or psychologist to address your sexual addiction you may want to search through the list of names below to find a therapist who will be right for you.
Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) is a psychological approach that deals with the way in which clients think about themselves, other people and the world. The outside world affects how we think and feel about ourselves and as a result, our behaviour. Cognitive Behavioural Therapy can help a person to change the way they think about thoughts and feelings, but it is not like other types of talk therapy.
Cognitive Behavioural Therapy focuses on current issues and challenges that affect the client right now. It doesn't consider the past issues that caused distress, but rather looks for solutions that can improve the client's state of mind in the moment. Much of CBT involves looking at thought distortions that can affect mood and are affected by mood, and helps client examine and challenge distorted thinking patters.
CBT can help a range of problems, from OCD, PTSD, bulimia, stress, phobias and other issues that might seem overwhelming to the client, by breaking them down into smaller, more manageable chunks.
If you are looking for a therapist who offers Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, please browse our list of practitioners below..
Note: You may narrow your search by selecting more than one filter below.
- (-) Remove Addictions - Sexual filterAddictions - Sexual
- Abuse - Emotional, Physical, Sexual (1)Apply Abuse - Emotional, Physical, Sexual filter
- Addiction - Internet (1)Apply Addiction - Internet filter
- Addictions - Including Substances (1)Apply Addictions - Including Substances filter
- Addictions - Pornography (1)Apply Addictions - Pornography filter
- Anger Management Issues (1)Apply Anger Management Issues filter
- Anxiety and/or Panic (2)Apply Anxiety and/or Panic filter
- Depression (1)Apply Depression filter
- Family Violence (1)Apply Family Violence filter
- Gender Identity Issues (1)Apply Gender Identity Issues filter
- Grief and Loss - General (1)Apply Grief and Loss - General filter
- Infidelity (1)Apply Infidelity filter
- Intimacy Issues (1)Apply Intimacy Issues filter
- Marriage and/or Relationship Issues (1)Apply Marriage and/or Relationship Issues filter
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (1)Apply Post Traumatic Stress Disorder filter
- Sexual Assault (1)Apply Sexual Assault filter
- Sexuality (1)Apply Sexuality filter
- Trauma Counselling (2)Apply Trauma Counselling filter
- (-) Remove Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) filterCognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
- Communication Skills Training (1)Apply Communication Skills Training filter
- EMDR (2)Apply EMDR filter
- Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy (EFT) (1)Apply Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy (EFT) filter
- Gottman Method Couples Therapy (1)Apply Gottman Method Couples Therapy filter
- Marriage & Couples Counselling (1)Apply Marriage & Couples Counselling filter
- Mindfulness approaches (1)Apply Mindfulness approaches filter
- Motivational Interviewing (1)Apply Motivational Interviewing filter
- ONLINE / VIRTUAL / TELEHEALTH COUNSELLING (2)Apply ONLINE / VIRTUAL / TELEHEALTH COUNSELLING filter
- Psychodynamic Therapy (1)Apply Psychodynamic Therapy filter
- Sex Therapy (1)Apply Sex Therapy filter
- Solution Focused Therapy (1)Apply Solution Focused Therapy filter
- Video Counselling (1)Apply Video Counselling filter