Addictions - Including Substances Brief Therapy
Addictions - Including Substances
While some people can use prescription or recreational drugs with no negative effects, many others become addicted and face dramatic health and lifestyle problems as a result. Substance addictions negatively affect relationships, home, school or work, leaving the person feeling ashamed, helpless and isolated.
Physical symptoms of substance abuse and addiction are varied depending on the drug of choice, but the symptoms of the addiction itself are similar. People who are addicted to substances may neglect their responsibilities, take potentially dangerous risks and get into trouble with the law. As their drug use spirals out of control, they will lose interest in activities that used to be enjoyable and continue to take drugs despite knowing the harm it causes.
Substance addicts tend to build up a tolerance to their drug of choice, and get angry when they can't get more of it. Withdrawal symptoms are highly probable when an addict goes without it for too long. Depression, nausea, insomnia, sweating, restlessness, anxiety and shaking are all common withdrawal symptoms.
Psychotherapy can help you to overcome substance addiction by focusing on correcting maladaptive behaviors. Substance abuse is usually a coping mechanism against emotionally overwhelming past events or memories. Substances are often used to provide instant gratification instead of facing certain issues.
Therapists are equipped to help clients deal with addiction recovery through empowerment and helping them set simple short term targets. The first target is sobriety, followed by empowering the client with adaptive skills and finding new coping strategies that deal with the issues that caused the addiction. Substance addiction can be ended, allowing the person to live a healthy, productive life.
If you need a counsellor or psychologist to help you address the effects of substance addiction, you can search the directory below to find a professional with the approach best suited to your situation.
Brief therapy focuses on a client's present and future, rather than his or her past and it builds solutions. Many brief therapists never explore their clients' past problems, but rather focus on the present with goals for creating a positive future.
Psychologists who offer brief therapy take a more pro-active approach to offer faster care for subjective and clinical conditions. This type of therapy creates natural resources and temporarily suspends disbelief to help the client consider a range of new viewpoints or perspectives. It provides a wider context for the client to view the present, and better understandings that can bring about spontaneous change.
Unlike other therapies that focus on the problem, brief therapy is solution-based. It removes the factors that sustain a problem and prevent change. Brief therapists understands that there are many approaches that, combined, can bring about ultimate success.
If you are looking for a therapist who offers brief therapy, please browse our list of practitioners below..
Note: You may narrow your search by selecting more than one filter below.
- (-) Remove Addictions - Including Substances filterAddictions - Including Substances
- Abuse - Emotional, Physical, Sexual (1)Apply Abuse - Emotional, Physical, Sexual filter
- Addictions - Online Gaming (1)Apply Addictions - Online Gaming filter
- Adolescent Issues (3)Apply Adolescent Issues filter
- Anger Management Issues (1)Apply Anger Management Issues filter
- Anxiety and/or Panic (6)Apply Anxiety and/or Panic filter
- Borderline Personality Disorder (1)Apply Borderline Personality Disorder filter
- Career Issues (1)Apply Career Issues filter
- Caregiver Support (1)Apply Caregiver Support filter
- Chronic Illness (1)Apply Chronic Illness filter
- Compassion Fatigue (1)Apply Compassion Fatigue filter
- COVID-19 Stress, Anxiety and Depression (1)Apply COVID-19 Stress, Anxiety and Depression filter
- Critical Incidents and Acute Stress (1)Apply Critical Incidents and Acute Stress filter
- Depression (6)Apply Depression filter
- Eating Disorders (1)Apply Eating Disorders filter
- Family Caregiver Stress (2)Apply Family Caregiver Stress filter
- Family Conflict (2)Apply Family Conflict filter
- First Nations Issues (2)Apply First Nations Issues filter
- Grief and Loss - General (4)Apply Grief and Loss - General filter
- Intimacy Issues (1)Apply Intimacy Issues filter
- LGBTQ Issues (3)Apply LGBTQ Issues filter
- Life Transitions (3)Apply Life Transitions filter
- Marriage and/or Relationship Issues (1)Apply Marriage and/or Relationship Issues filter
- Men's Issues (1)Apply Men's Issues filter
- Parent/Teen Conflict (1)Apply Parent/Teen Conflict filter
- Parenting Issues (1)Apply Parenting Issues filter
- Phobias (1)Apply Phobias filter
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (1)Apply Post Traumatic Stress Disorder filter
- Postpartum Depression (2)Apply Postpartum Depression filter
- Pregnancy (3)Apply Pregnancy filter
- Professional Burnout (1)Apply Professional Burnout filter
- School/Work Adjustment (1)Apply School/Work Adjustment filter
- Self Harming Practices (2)Apply Self Harming Practices filter
- Sexual Assault (2)Apply Sexual Assault filter
- Sleep Difficulties-Adults (2)Apply Sleep Difficulties-Adults filter
- Stress Management (2)Apply Stress Management filter
- Suicide Ideation / Survivor (1)Apply Suicide Ideation / Survivor filter
- Trauma Counselling (2)Apply Trauma Counselling filter
- Unwanted Habits (1)Apply Unwanted Habits filter
- Women's Issues (1)Apply Women's Issues filter
- (-) Remove Brief Therapy filterBrief Therapy
- ADD and ADHD Coping Strategies (1)Apply ADD and ADHD Coping Strategies filter
- Adolescent Therapy (2)Apply Adolescent Therapy filter
- Coaching (2)Apply Coaching filter
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) (3)Apply Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) filter
- Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (1)Apply Dialectical Behaviour Therapy filter
- EMDR (1)Apply EMDR filter
- Family Systems (2)Apply Family Systems filter
- Family Therapy (3)Apply Family Therapy filter
- Group Therapy (1)Apply Group Therapy filter
- Humanistic Therapy (1)Apply Humanistic Therapy filter
- Hypnotherapy (1)Apply Hypnotherapy filter
- Interpersonal Psychotherapy (1)Apply Interpersonal Psychotherapy filter
- Meditation (1)Apply Meditation filter
- Mindfulness approaches (5)Apply Mindfulness approaches filter
- Motivational Interviewing (3)Apply Motivational Interviewing filter
- Narrative Therapy (2)Apply Narrative Therapy filter
- ONLINE / VIRTUAL / TELEHEALTH COUNSELLING (4)Apply ONLINE / VIRTUAL / TELEHEALTH COUNSELLING filter
- Rapid Resolution Therapy (RRT) (1)Apply Rapid Resolution Therapy (RRT) filter
- Reality Therapy (1)Apply Reality Therapy filter
- Shame Counselling & Therapy (1)Apply Shame Counselling & Therapy filter
- Solution Focused Therapy (5)Apply Solution Focused Therapy filter
- Telephone Counselling (4)Apply Telephone Counselling filter
- Video Counselling (4)Apply Video Counselling filter
- Vocational Counselling (1)Apply Vocational Counselling filter