Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Adolescent Therapy
Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
Post Traumatic Stress Disorder is an anxiety disorder that usually starts within the three months of a traumatic incident. It has been reported that in rare cases, PTSD symptoms may only occur after a number of years.
Three groups of symptoms are present in people with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Increased anxiety / emotional arousal includes anger or irritability, overwhelming shame or guilt, sleeplessness and self-destructive behaviour. The second group of symptoms, known as intrusive memories, causes flashbacks to the traumatic event and upsetting dreams. The third group of symptoms that a Post Traumatic Stress Disorder patient may experience, includes emotional numbing or avoidance. This group of symptoms includes memory problems, poor concentration, feeling emotionally numb, a sense of hopelessness, and an avoidance of activities that the person used to find enjoyable.
Post Traumatic Stress Disorder symptoms may be present for a while, disappear and then return again. General stress may increase the symptoms, as can reminders of the traumatic incident.
Therapists who address Post Traumatic Stress Disorder generally use one, or a combination of trauma therapies to treat it. Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR) is commonly used and can help a person to change their reactions to traumatic memories.
Exposure therapy can help a person reduce the amount of fear related to the feelings and thoughts associated with past traumatic events. Cognitive therapy helps a person to change the way he or she thinks about the event and the aftermath of a traumatic incident. It will help a person to identify thoughts that cause fear and anger, and learn ways to replace those thoughts with less stressful and more empowering thoughts.
If you are looking for a counsellor or psychologist who offers Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and related issues you may want to search the directory to find a professional whose approach will suit you best.
Adolescents don't come with instructions and raising a teenager to become a successful contributor to society can be stressful. Adolescent counselling can help a parent to ensure that they are on the right track, and to deal with any issues they may be facing.
It is common for teens to face challenges and adolescent therapy can be very helpful. One of the main areas this type of therapy addresses is the interpersonal relationships between the teenager and his or her family members. It can help improve communication and interactions between the family members and promote healing.
Teenagers need a lot of love and a strong support structure in which they can heal and grow. It can be challenging to be on the cusp of adulthood and adolescence is often a very challenging transitional period. Adolescent counselling offers a secure and non-judgmental environment for teenagers to transition from childhood into adolescence. It will address issues of behaviour, puberty, emotions, and in some cases even nutrition.
If you are looking at Adolescent Therapy for your child, have a look at the counsellors listed below.
Note: You may narrow your search by selecting more than one filter below.
- (-) Remove Post Traumatic Stress Disorder filterPost Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Abuse - Emotional, Physical, Sexual (4)Apply Abuse - Emotional, Physical, Sexual filter
- Addiction - Internet (1)Apply Addiction - Internet filter
- Addictions - Including Substances (1)Apply Addictions - Including Substances filter
- Addictions - Pornography (1)Apply Addictions - Pornography filter
- Adolescent Issues (2)Apply Adolescent Issues filter
- Anger Management Issues (1)Apply Anger Management Issues filter
- Anxiety and/or Panic (3)Apply Anxiety and/or Panic filter
- COVID-19 Stress, Anxiety and Depression (1)Apply COVID-19 Stress, Anxiety and Depression filter
- Critical Incidents and Acute Stress (1)Apply Critical Incidents and Acute Stress filter
- Death and Dying (1)Apply Death and Dying filter
- Depression (4)Apply Depression filter
- Dissociative Disorders (1)Apply Dissociative Disorders filter
- Divorce and/or Separation (1)Apply Divorce and/or Separation filter
- Eating Disorders (1)Apply Eating Disorders filter
- Family Violence (1)Apply Family Violence filter
- Grief and Loss - General (2)Apply Grief and Loss - General filter
- Learning Disabilities (1)Apply Learning Disabilities filter
- Marriage and/or Relationship Issues (2)Apply Marriage and/or Relationship Issues filter
- Men's Issues (2)Apply Men's Issues filter
- Parent/Teen Conflict (1)Apply Parent/Teen Conflict filter
- Perfectionism (1)Apply Perfectionism filter
- Personal Growth (1)Apply Personal Growth filter
- Phobias (1)Apply Phobias filter
- Self-Esteem Issues (3)Apply Self-Esteem Issues filter
- Stress Management (1)Apply Stress Management filter
- Teen Adjustment Issues (1)Apply Teen Adjustment Issues filter
- Trauma Counselling (1)Apply Trauma Counselling filter
- Workplace Issues (1)Apply Workplace Issues filter
- (-) Remove Adolescent Therapy filterAdolescent Therapy
- AEDP (1)Apply AEDP filter
- Brief Therapy (2)Apply Brief Therapy filter
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) (3)Apply Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) filter
- Communication Skills Training (1)Apply Communication Skills Training filter
- Critical Incident Stress Management (1)Apply Critical Incident Stress Management filter
- EMDR (1)Apply EMDR filter
- Emotion Focused Therapy (1)Apply Emotion Focused Therapy filter
- Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy (EFT) (1)Apply Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy (EFT) filter
- Energy Psychotherapy (1)Apply Energy Psychotherapy filter
- Existential-Humanistic (1)Apply Existential-Humanistic filter
- Gottman Method Couples Therapy (2)Apply Gottman Method Couples Therapy filter
- Group Therapy (1)Apply Group Therapy filter
- Humanistic Therapy (1)Apply Humanistic Therapy filter
- Integrative Psychotherapy (1)Apply Integrative Psychotherapy filter
- Intensive Short-Term Dynamic Psychotherapy (ISTDP) (1)Apply Intensive Short-Term Dynamic Psychotherapy (ISTDP) filter
- Marriage & Couples Counselling (3)Apply Marriage & Couples Counselling filter
- ONLINE / VIRTUAL / TELEHEALTH COUNSELLING (1)Apply ONLINE / VIRTUAL / TELEHEALTH COUNSELLING filter
- Psycho-Educational Assessment (2)Apply Psycho-Educational Assessment filter
- Psycho-Educational Groups (1)Apply Psycho-Educational Groups filter
- Psychoanalytic Therapy (1)Apply Psychoanalytic Therapy filter
- Psychodynamic Therapy (1)Apply Psychodynamic Therapy filter
- Solution Focused Therapy (2)Apply Solution Focused Therapy filter
- Telephone Counselling (2)Apply Telephone Counselling filter
- Video Counselling (1)Apply Video Counselling filter