Acceptance & Commitment Therapy
Acceptance & Commitment Therapy, Group Therapy
Acceptance & Commitment Therapy encompasses a range of six principles that aim to help clients develop greater psychological flexibility. The six principles include:
1. Cognitive defusion help to reduce tendencies to regard thoughts, memories and emotions as real and concrete events.
2. Acceptance is about allowing the thoughts to surface and pass without the need to allow them to interfere with daily life.
3. Being present means being aware of current existence and being involved with the now.
4. Self observation helps the client to be aware of the self and the unchanging consciousness.
5. Exploring values to discover those that are most important to the person.
6. Committed action involves setting goals based on the explored values, and setting actions in place to reach those goals.
Acceptance & Commitment Therapy is a form of cognitive behavioural therapy and is commonly used in therapy, and in it's sub-forms and helpful for a range of conditions, including OCD. If you require Acceptance & Commitment Therapy, have a look at the counsellors listed below.
Group Therapy is generally offered in a setting with a single therapist and a group of up to around twelve participants who share a common or related issue. Therapists sometimes suggest group therapy if a group format suits the person or the issue better, or if the treatment type has a group therapy aspect, such as art therapy or dialectical behaviour therapy.
By observing other people in group therapy, a person can receive helpful feedback from other group members. These varied perspectives can help to promote change and growth. Group therapy helps people to develop better coping methods by learning from others. By seeing how other group therapy members handle situations, people can follow their examples and grow from that.
Group therapy is generally more affordable and at the same time, it allows people to learn better social skills.
If you are looking for a therapist who offers Group Therapy, please browse our list of practitioners below..