Acceptance & Commitment Therapy
Acceptance & Commitment Therapy, Adoption Counselling
Acceptance & Commitment Therapy encompasses a range of six principles that aim to help clients develop greater psychological flexibility. The six principles include:
1. Cognitive defusion help to reduce tendencies to regard thoughts, memories and emotions as real and concrete events.
2. Acceptance is about allowing the thoughts to surface and pass without the need to allow them to interfere with daily life.
3. Being present means being aware of current existence and being involved with the now.
4. Self observation helps the client to be aware of the self and the unchanging consciousness.
5. Exploring values to discover those that are most important to the person.
6. Committed action involves setting goals based on the explored values, and setting actions in place to reach those goals.
Acceptance & Commitment Therapy is a form of cognitive behavioural therapy and is commonly used in therapy, and in it's sub-forms and helpful for a range of conditions, including OCD. If you require Acceptance & Commitment Therapy, have a look at the counsellors listed below.
Adoption has a tendency to affect not only the adopted child and the adoptive parents, but also everyone else in the extended family. The emotional effects of adoption can cause a wide range of emotional effects which can be addressed by adoption counselling.
An adoption counsellor could assist families and individuals who have been touched by adoption to deal with any emotional issues that surround it. During individual or group adoption counselling sessions, the therapist will help clients to explore their emotions and understand why they feel a certain way. They will learn how to develop better stress management techniques and develop coping strategies.
Most adoption counsellors will use a range of approaches to suit each individual case and their therapies may include family, psychodynamic or psychoanalytic therapy. These therapies deal with the ways in which people's past thoughts affect their current perceptions and behaviours. They also will address current issues.
If you are looking for a counsellor who offers adoption counselling, please look at the listings below.