POSITION: Senior School Personal Counsellor
REPORTS TO: Head of Senior School
START DATE: August 30, 2021
CONTRACT: Full Time, Permanent
LOCATION and CONTACT: 4125 West 8th Avenue, Vancouver, BC, V6R 4P9 604-222-8750
POSTING DATE: March 15, 2021
APPLY BY: This position will remain open until filled
TEACHING AT WPGA
At WPGA, we focus on the individual child, the whole person and a balanced life. We give each student a transformative learning experiences rooted in inquiry, shaped by action and celebrated with joy. Teaching at WPGA is fulfilling, collaborative and dynamic. Our Leadership Teams support our educators to teach with confidence; create relevant, creative curriculum and programs; build meaningful relationships with students and families; and develop professionally.
As a Senior School Counsellor, the candidate’s primary objective is to support grade 8-12 students with a variety of both personal and educational counselling issues. The focus of school counselling at West Point Grey Academy is to enhance students’ educational, personal, social, emotional and career development, assist in the creation and maintenance of an enabling school culture, and empower students toward positive change
DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide individual and goal-oriented planning sessions to students in the areas of mental health, academic planning and success, career awareness, social/emotional development, family issues and making healthy choices.
- Assist in planning and delivering curricular and co-curricular programming (1-2 teaching blocks and co-curricular responsibilities), including school’s Advisory Program.
- Provide direct instruction to students in areas such as peer helping, conflict resolution, social skills and life skills.
- Provide support to other educators in implementing health and career education and promoting healthy school environments.
- Identify students’ diverse needs that require specific counselling expertise.
- Collaborate with teachers, support staff and administration regarding the nature of students' strengths and needs, their educational implications, and ways to enhance learning and interpersonal relations.
- Incorporate family support for addressing student issues and provide referrals to appropriate community or private counselling agencies.
- Participate in professional development by reading professional literature, attending courses and seminars, and establishing and maintaining contact with other professional bodies and social service agencies.
- Staff and curriculum development and coordination of preventative curriculum through the use of guest speakers and workshops.
- Collaborate with leadership team, faculty and support staff to gather classroom-based data, design & implement instructional strategies or social supports, and design & implement behaviour management interventions.
- Adheres to laws, policies, procedures, and ethical standards of the BC School Counsellors’ Association and/or other professional associations.
- Professional Teaching Certificate
- Master's degree recognized by the College of Teachers in counselling psychology or a related discipline with a focus in counselling
- Must be eligible to work in Canada
- Minimum 5 years counselling experience
- Proven ability to establish an open and accepting presence in the school community and address educational, academic, personal, and social needs of all students.
- Proven ability to build rapport and trust with students, and demonstrate empathy, compassion and sensitivity for students’ emotional and mental health.
- Well-developed organizational and time management skills, mediation and negotiation skills, complex problem solving abilities, and inductive and deductive reasoning skills.
- Experience in an independent school setting an asset
- Experience teaching AP Psychology an asset
Please email a cover letter and résumé to WPGA Careers and in the subject line please write “SS Counsellor”. We will continue to accept submissions until the position has been filled. Your cover letter and résumé MUST be in one file and the file name MUST be Lastname Firstname. Word or PDF are the preferred formats. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.