Personal Counsellor, Senior School
Exciting Opportunity for an Extraordinary Counsellor
Fixed-Term Contract (September 2021 - December 2021)
At Crofton House School, we inspire girls to discover and pursue their personal excellence from the first day of Junior Kindergarten to Grade 12 and beyond.
Bound by our belief in the power of all-girls education, Crofton House School fosters a strong sense of community among educators, staff, students and families. Here, everyone can contribute to the strength of our learning environment – including you.
The Student Services department at Crofton House School is distinguished by extraordinary teachers, advisors and counsellors who support students academically, socially and emotionally. They work as a collaborative team who put the student at the center of her learning and provide structure and programs to assist her as she makes decisions about her learning, wellbeing and her future. The facilities for student services are well equipped and offer bright and technology rich environments.
You are an expert in your field. As an experienced, knowledgeable and qualified counsellor or social worker, you understand girls and the personal challenges they face as they navigate school from grade 8 - 12. You bring a compassionate and therapeutic approach to personal counselling with an awareness of mental health and social and emotional development. Balanced with supporting students, you mentor teachers in understanding personal challenges experienced by the students in their classes and guide them toward implementing strategies that ultimately support all learners. Students find you to be approachable, available, knowledgeable, genuine and supportive. You are energized by what you do. You demonstrate an understanding of the importance of parents as partners in their daughter’s education by maintaining open and collaborative relationships with the parent community. As a lifelong learner, you demonstrate a commitment to actively seeking professional development. You participate actively in the life of the school.
We are looking for someone to join the team 3 days per week. There is an opportunity for the successful candidate to work in May and June if available.
● Provide individualized support for social and emotional challenges experienced by girls
● Facilitate meetings between students, parents and Senior School teachers
● Maintain documentation and records for individual students, ensuring confidentiality in reporting
● Provide appropriate feedback to advisors and parents on student progress and strategies for support
● Work as a collaborative and supportive member of the Student Services department
● Participates in school meetings and events, including school planning and professional development
● Create a positive and supportive culture for learning
● Set annual professional goals
● Be an active and positive participant in the life of the school
Qualifications, Knowledge, Experience:
● Relevant university qualifications (e.g. Bachelor of Education plus Bachelor of Arts, or equivalent)
● Master’s degree in Psychology, Counselling Psychology or Social Work
● Registered with a professional organization at a provincial or national level
● Excellent interpersonal, communication, problem-solving, negotiation and mediation skills
● A commitment toward continued professional development and growth
● Energy, commitment and a readiness to participate in the co-curricular program and the diverse life of the school community
● Experience in an independent school, an asset
● Demonstrable awareness of the learning styles of girls and young women
● No teaching certificate required
Employment and Application Details:
Please note that applicants must be able to legally work in Canada.
Apply online at www.croftonhouse.ca/careers. We will review applications as soon as they are submitted.
Interviews will begin immediately. We thank all candidates in advance. We will, however, contact only those selected for an interview. No phone calls, please.
About Crofton House School
Crofton House School is a university preparatory day school for girls from junior kindergarten to grade 12. Set on a beautiful ten-acre campus in Vancouver, we offer an inclusive, supportive community of dedicated teachers, involved parents, and enthusiastic students. Collaborative, student-centred, inquiry-based education and world-class facilities create a unique learning environment where each girl can reach her full potential.