- Plaintext email only
- I individualize and customize every therapy session for each client or couple.
- I emphasize real change and help clients come up with effective ways to change what they are unhappy about.
- I have a talent for distilling what is really going on.
- I bring wisdom, insight, and 25 years of therapy experience to my clients.
- I look at the couple as a system, whether both people are in my office or only one is attending sessions.
- If I think it will be helpful to you, I will seek your permission to talk to your counsellor, family doctor or medical specialist (urologist, gynecologist, or endocrinologist) if I need to suggest a medication change or a particular blood test.
- I am a good listener, but I do much more than listen.
- I may have “heard it all before,” but I treat each person as a unique being and collaborate with you to find your unique solutions.
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree, McMaster University
- PhD in Counselling Psychology (and Masters in Counselling Psychology, University of British Columbia)
- Approved Supervisor with the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy
- private practice as a marriage and family therapist specializing in sex and relationship therapy since 1986
- prior to her private practice Bianca taught specialized nursing for Vancouver Community College and was a hospital-based Nurse Clinician
- served on the board of the BC Association for Marriage and Family Therapy (BCAMFT) for 2 terms and since then has been active on the Professional Regulation committee working with the Ministry of Health
- currently serves on the executive of the BC Division of the Canadian Society of Clinical Hypnosis
- has been involved in research projects at St. Paul’s Hospital and at Women’s Hospital
- has done a variety of television and radio shows (she used to have a regular spot on the evening news with Gloria Macarenko discussing relationship issues)
- supervises and provides consultation for student therapists as well as experienced therapists who want specialized guidance with respect to marriage therapy or sex therapy
- acts as a consultant for the West Coast Women's Clinic for Midlife Health in Vancouver
- “Clinical Hypnosis as an Adjunct to the Treatment of Sexual Pain Disorders” at the Society for Sex Therapy and Research Annual Conference (Boston, MA)
- “Female Orgasm Update” at the Comprehensive Review of Sexual Medicine (Vancouver, BC)
- “Premature Ejaculation & Anxiety about Sex” at the Canadian Conference on Men’s Health (Victoria, BC)
- “Low Desire and Desire Discrepancies” at the Vancouver Coastal Heath 2nd Annual Sex in Your City Workshop (Vancouver, BC)
- “A Mind-Body Approach To Sex Therapy” at the Canadian Society of Clinical Hypnosis (B.C. Division) Annual Training Workshop (Vancouver, BC)
- British Columbia Association for Marriage and Family Therapy
- American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy
(Clinical Member and Approved Supervisor)
- College of Registered Nurses of British Columbia
- British Columbia Nurses in Private Practice Professional Practice Group
- The Society for Sex Therapy and Research (SSTAR)
- Canadian Sex Research Forum (Executive Board Member 1990-92)
- Sex Information and Education Council of Canada (SIECCAN)
- Canadian Society of Clinical Hypnosis (BC Division)
(Executive Board Member 1994-present)
- low sexual desire
- lack of sex
- sex lacking intimacy
- sexual desire discrepancy
- communication problems
- extramarital affairs
- falling out of love
- healing from past sexual abuse
- conflict in relationships
- arguing and fighting
- dealing with separation and divorce
- reuniting after a separation
- gender orientation issues
- gender identity issues
- inexperience with sex
- dealing with an STD
- difficulty getting or maintaining an erection
- premature ejaculation
- difficulty ejaculating
- compulsive sexual behaviour
- sexual addiction (e.g., addiction to internet pornography, etc.)
- difficulty reaching orgasm
- pain with intercourse
- addictions (e.g., addiction to internet chat rooms, etc.)
- sexual inhibitions
Bianca Rucker uses a brief model of psychotherapy and/or clinical hypnosis to help individuals and couples who experience sexual or relationship difficulties. Dr. Rucker is an AAMFT Approved Supervisor. She sees therapists wanting to become registered with a professional association or wanting to increase their skill.
Common concerns include:
* Couples — communication and intimacy problems, extramarital affairs, and sexual desire discrepancies
* Men — erection difficulties and premature or retarded ejaculation
* Women — difficulties with orgasm, discomfort during intercourse (e.g., vulvodynia and vulvar vestibulitis), and inhibitions in sexual expression
Appointments are available days, evenings and Saturdays. Clients are often referred by a physician or therapist, but they may also contact the office without a referral. Extended health coverage applies in most cases.
Client Fee Individuals:
Client Fee Couples/Families:
For further information, visit Bianca Rucker's website.
Individual therapy, couples therapy and sex therapy:
“I use a brief but in-depth therapy approach based on the Satir Growth Model. For some clients I incorporate mind-body approaches such as clinical hypnosis and mindfulness (focused states of awareness, relaxation techniques, and visualization). For problems of sexual functioning I may incorporate behavioural sex therapy strategies and specifically designed homework.
With couples who have serious difficulties with intimacy or sexual desire discrepancies, I often use an approach to therapy called the Sexual Crucible Approach, which is a powerful way to effect change in couples.
I see clients from all walks of life. I am always respectful and discrete, keeping my work with each and every client confidential.”
Why do clients find Bianca’s approach to couples /
sex therapy so valuable and effective?
Bianca describes how she feels about her marriage and sex therapy work:
“I am glad to be doing work that I am passionate about! I find that providing relationship and sex therapy to individuals and couples is very rewarding. Not only is it interesting work, but I feel honoured that people respect me sufficiently to open up to me about their most personal problems. It is very fulfilling to be able to participate in such significant changes in my clients’ lives.
In addition to providing sex and marriage therapy, I have lectured on a variety of sex-related topics (and on clinical hypnosis) to the general public and to professionals in Canada, the United States, and Europe. I am also actively involved in teaching and supervising health professionals interested in addressing sexual concerns of their clients.
I have appeared on numerous radio and television programs encouraging people to improve the quality of their intimate relationships.”
Bianca’s Professional Experience:
Teaching and Lecturing:
Bianca has taught and lectured on the subjects of sex therapy and clinical hypnosis in North America and in Europe. Here are a few examples of lectures she has given to professionals over the past several years:
Bianca is a member of the following professional organizations:
Our clients come from all walks of life. Young adults, middle-aged, or seniors. Single or in a relationship. Sometimes it’s a new relationship, sometimes the couple has been together for 50 years. If they are in a relationship, the couple usually attends sessions together, but they may also come individually. We welcome those who are heterosexual as well as those who are gay or lesbian.
What kinds of problems and concerns can be addressed in therapy?
Women and Men